Dr. Charles Colin, 100 Original Warm-ups (Charles Colin), 7-23.
Click here for the ENTIRE lesson plan (routine).
Things to remember when you practice
- 5 times 10 breathing exercise before you begin
- Models for each study: Single, Triple tongue; slur three; slur measure
- Play each study in one breath (if possible)
- Rest whenever necessary
- Rest as long as you play
- Work toward speeding up the exercises
- BIG BREATH – CHEST UP – SHOULDERS BACK (NOT UP)
- WATCH THE TONGUE
Second Study, ex. #27
Third Study, ex. #37
Fourth Study, ex. #54
Fifth Study, ex. #73
Sixth Study, ex. #93
The videos show how developing trumpet players at my level should practice this type of flexibility exercise, or tongue level study, according to Claude Gordon and my teacher, Bruce Haag. The mistakes you’ll hear are ones common to developing trumpeters and will diminish over time, as I naturally discover the knack of trumpet playing. (see my notes on the videos)
Bruce Haag is a certified Claude Gordon instructor, and the practice routines he assigns serve to set goals for progress and to help the student understand exactly what is causing the progress.
“Don’t stop where I have, but go further.”—